Wednesday, April 30, 2014

SIAM Data Mining 2014: On differential privacy

After my trip to Haverford, I attended the SIAM Data Mining (SDM) conference in Philly. For those who aren't that familiar with the data mining universe, SDM is the SIAM entrant in the data mining conference sweepstakes, along with ACM (KDD) and IEEE (ICDM). SDM is probably also the smallest of the three venues, which makes it comparable in feel to SODA (also because of SIAM organization). The conference attracts the usual data mining suspects, but also more of the applied math folks.

I was the tutorials chair this year, and there were a number of very well-attended tutorials ranging from applications to core mining to theory. In particular, +Moritz Hardt and +Aleksandar Nikolov did a very nice tutorial on differential privacy entitled 'Safer Data Mining'.


SDM is a good venue for theory folks wanting to "test the waters" with data mining: the papers are consistently more mathematically oriented and less "business-heavy", and it's a friendly crowd :).

Shameless plug: I'm the PC co-chair next year along with Jieping Ye and I'd encourage more algorithms folks to submit, and visit Vancouver in April.

In a future post I'll talk more about a panel I also ran at the conference titled 'Ethics in Data Mining'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for The Geomblog